Sunday, March 13, 2011

Are you prepared?

With the recent earthquake in Japan, it reminds me (and should others as well) that events like this can happen anywhere and at anytime. A year and a half ago I took a 11 week disaster emergency training and I learned a lot on how to respond in case of a disaster happens in my community. During one class, we talked about earthquakes and I learned that it's just a matter of time that a major earthquake will happen in Portland, Oregon. This earthquake will leave major damage to the city and surrounding areas and we as residents really have to be prepared. When I think about the devastation that could occur during my duration of my stay in the Portland area, I often times get scared at what could happen. I often think of one of those suspenseful movies where the "star" of the movie has to go through all of these obstacles in order to get to safety or see their loved ones again. I really don't want to live out one of those movies.

John and I attend school at Portland State University, which is downtown. Many of the buildings are older and will not hold up in a strong earthquake. The building at my work scares me because it is very old and I know it will not hold in an earthquake. I also get worried that John and I will be separated at the time and then we would have the challenge of getting back together again..that is if we both make it out alive. In an ideal world, I would love for us to be together if this event happens, but I can't count on ideal. Therefore, I need to know how I can take care of myself, just in case.

Though we will never know when a disaster strikes, the only thing we can do is prepare, prepare, prepare! So let me ask you this....are you prepared for a disaster to strike? Do you have a plan in place for your family if you are separated? Do you even know what you need? Do you even understand what will happen if your city is in the middle of a disaster and how emergency responders will react? These are all important things to know in regards to disasters and surviving.

When a disaster happens, emergency officials will respond to locations with mass amount of people. Thus, if you are able to call 911 for help, the likely hood that someone will respond in a quick manner is slim. Therefore, if you are hurt and if it's safe and possible, find help. If not, then take proper actions in the best interest of you and your family. This may even be staying put in your own dwelling until help arrives..which could be a couple of days.

If you are stuck in your dwelling, make sure that you have all of the supplies you need to survive for a couple of days. This includes, water, food (make sure to include a can opener), blankets, TP, garbage bags, flashlights with working batteries, a batter operated radio, rope, gloves, matches, etc.

Make a plan for your family if you are separated. This has to include a meet up spot (if possible) for your family to meet. This could be at a school, work, library, city hall, etc. Also, provide an out of town phone number for each family member to call and check in. Many of the phone lines won't be working locally, but you can call out of town easier.

These are some some of the important things you need to be thinking about. Below is a couple of helpful websites to visit and get more information on disaster planning, including what to put in your disaster kits, etc. Please prepare yourself because disasters can happen anywhere, anytime.

http://www.govlink.org/3days3ways/

http://72hours.org/

http://www.fema.gov/plan/index.shtm

No comments:

Post a Comment