So I am taking a break about writing about pregnancy and
babies, because let’s face it, there is more to my life than building and
preparing for a little one. Besides experiencing pregnancy this year, I've also
been busting my hump at my new job. I am a Victim Services Specialist at Mother’s
Against Drunk Driving in Fort Worth. Apparently 400 applicants applied and they
picked me. It’s a compliment, but it adds a little pressure too. With having a
Master’s degree and working for one of the top Non-profits in the country, it puts you on another level and it has been hard in my opinion to hold up to the
expectations and standards that are expected of me, especially when you’re
pregnant and you feel blah all the time.
This isn't my first time working with victims of crime. Of
course the whole reason why I changed my major from journalism to criminal
justice was because I was effected by crime eleven years ago. The way I was
treated in the criminal justice system made me so mad, that it made me change
my major and help victims of crime. I became a crime victim advocate and been
focusing on crime victims since 2003. My focus in grad school was on restorative
justice and crime victims and did my thesis project on how victims of crime
should have more of a voice, and more opportunities to heal from the crimes
they have been effected by. My work is slowly getting recognized as my project
will be a main focus on the Oregon Restorative Justice Coalition website.
Meeting victims and hearing stories about those effected by
drunk driving is harder than I thought. You really have to watch how you
process these stories and it can really effect you and how you view the world. You
hear, read or see disturbing things that can really mess up your mind. That is
why it’s important to make sure you have a strong support system outside of
work. Thankfully I do and since I've been involved in this type of work, I know
what works for me and doesn't work.
Even though I am technically doing what I went to school
for, I still feel a void and feel like I should be doing more. I am really
missing the area of restorative justice and it’s hard not to be able to bring
up restorative justice to victims when an organization you work for doesn't approve
this form of justice or healing for victims. I know I am where I am supposed to
be…for now, but I know there is more out there for me. I have been encouraged
lately by simple posts made on my online teaching site I had to create for a
class last year. It made me think about other opportunities that I could check
into, but still focus on restorative justice and helping victims.
Although, it is annoying not being content with where I am,
I know that I am not done growing with my journey. It will be exciting to see
where I end up and the impact I make on people. I think most people feel this
way as they grow, so I know most of you know how I feel. I think it is
important to strive for your full potential instead of being in the same position
for years and years and cutting yourself short.
No comments:
Post a Comment