Monday, May 5, 2014

'Aint Nobody Got Time For That!

On the radio on Monday mornings, they have a segment called “Aint nobody got time for that,” where people call in and vent about things that happened or bothering that person. Usually I turn the station because all I want to listen to is music on my slow commute towards work. However, the last few weeks, I have had a few ‘Aint nobody got time for that situations and mix that with 
pregnancy hormones, you have a heated hot mama on your hands.

The last few weeks I have been extremely annoyed. Some certain situations have happened where I've kinda got thrown into the situation. That happens when you’re married and you gotta roll with the punches and support your spouse no matter what, even if it’s losing out on friends and fun. Other situations that have caused my blood to boil is all because I’m pregnant. So far, most people are happy to hear that I’m pregnant. I know some people have issues with me because I am pregnant and they are just jealous because they want to be pregnant too, but I've been there and I know how they feel, so I’m gonna cut them a little slack. Then there are those people who were not so thrilled to hear that I’m expecting. Like those in a professional capacity. That didn’t go as well as I thought, but oh well, can’t really do anything about it now.

Then there are those people that are borderline certified crazy. These are the people that really make me appreciate living half way across the country. If I ever write a book about pregnancy, there is going to be a chapter about crazy family members. I am not sure if all of the craziness is because people are excited or people trying to ruin relationships. I don’t know, but people need to back off and calm down. I've already had my gender reveal ruined because people were not being respectful, and the next event is my baby shower that my sister so sweetly offered to put on for me. Yeah, most people have their baby shower closer to home and closer to the due date, but May is the only time we could fly to Oregon since we have other travel plans in June and I can’t fly after July. Of course I have friends and family all over the state (and surrounding states), so having the shower in Central Oregon seemed logical, especially since my hubby is going to be fishing with his BFF in Central Oregon. Plus in all reality, it’s MY baby shower and I can do whatever I want.

After the baby shower, comes the actual labor and delivery.  I've had so many people ask me about my birth plan and who’s going to be in the delivery room and how do I plan to take care of myself after the baby is born. It’s like hold on people, chill. First of all, I can’t even take a real maternity leave because I haven’t been with my company a year, so I can only take 6 weeks, which starts the day the baby makes his entry into the world. Which means I will be working until I go to the hospital. Its lame because I wanted to take a week off before the baby came just to be by myself and have “me” time, but it never works out that easy.
In regard to who’s going to be at the hospital, that’s easy….the only people who’s going to be at the hospital is myself, my hubby and medical staff. Sure, there can be visitors after the baby is born once the doctors say it is okay to have visitors and when we feel like we are ready to have visitors. You never know, I might have scared my husband during delivery/labor, he might have to go to an emergency crisis counseling session or I may have to have an unexpected C-section and might be drugged up so much that I wouldn't feel like seeing people for a while. And when we go home from the hospital, I want to come home to an empty house and be able to bond with the new little one for a few hours before more visitors come (good thing for hotels down the street). The last thing I want is the extra stress of crazy people when I’m trying to recover and experiencing motherhood for the very first time.


At first, I thought my ideas about what I want during this time was unrealistic, but after reading several articles about other mothers experiences, I am NOT being unrealistic about what I want during my hospital stay and going home from the hospital and my recovery process. The most important thing to me is my husband, my new baby and me. Our marriage started out in crisis mode, so I really don’t want this next chapter in our lives to start out that way too. I think it is a simple request that should be respected by anyone; friends, family and co-workers that are eager to share this experience with us. We are happy that people want to share the joy with us, but those who don’t want to be respectful and throw a fit because they can’t have it their way…’Aint nobody got time for that!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment