Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Day in the Life of The Lehr's

A common word I hear when I tell someone about the day in the life of The Lehr's, people say "Wow." I think it's weird. What's so "wow" about it? In my mind I think it's normal to live a busy life, but the more and more I think about it, maybe it's not normal. But what is normal anyway, right? People today are busy. We all are racing against time, but I do admit, I feel like we are running a marathon and it's just a matter of time we collapse from our hectic lives.

A typical day for us:

5:30 a.m. the first alarm goes off (like this) "ding, ding..Good Morning, Good Morning...BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA...it's going to be a beautiful day." It is the most ANNOYING alarm of all time. I hate that alarm, which is why John chose it (so nice of him, huh?). Usually he get's up right away (on most days). He is a morning person. I am NOT! It usually takes me about 45 minutes to get out of bed, and most of the time John literally has to get me out of bed.

Depending on the day, we are out the door between 7:00-7:15 a.m. Because we share a car, times and who get's dropped off first varies, but usually I am the one dropping John off to physical therapy, a doctors appointment, school or work. Then I'm off to work. I'm suppose to be at work by 8, but lots of times I'm late. Mornings are usually rushed, especially when there is bad traffic. We have gotten to the point where if traffic is bad, I drop John off near my work so he can catch the street car and go to where he is going that day. That has helped and haven't been as late to work.

As most of you know, I'm a preschool cook and a substitute teacher. Being a cook for 50 little kids is hard work. I'm on my feet the whole time and 3 of the 5 classes are upstairs, so over the last three years of being the cook, I have learned how to balance a heavy tray of food very nicely. In fact, I've only dropped a tray 2 times, and that was because I wasn't paying attention because I was talking to someone. Thankfully, it was just milk! Other duties are ordering food, putting the food away, organizing the menu, doing dishes and problem solve when a certain item of food didn't get purchased or something else isn't going to work out. Also, assisting other teachers when they need something from the kitchen because they are doing a project for their kids. I'm also on the safety committee, so I do inspections at my site and attend monthly meetings.

On a "normal" day, I am finished at 1:00 p.m., but often times I'm asked to substitute in the afternoon. When I do get off at the normal time, I usually have to rush to something. Sometimes it's to a doctors appointment or running errands. Other times it's just going home and taking care of the dogs and doing laundry, dishes, preparing dinner, homework, etc. This is until I have to go pick up John around 4:30 p.m. (or whenever he needs to be picked up that day). Then it's off to something else. Most of the time John needs to be taken to Taekwondo. Sometimes he needs to go to a meeting or has a class he needs to attend. I often feel like a human taxi driver. I do a lot of driving around. There are times where I need to be somewhere in the evening, so often times we just switch. It's a a transfer of car keys, an exchange of a hug and a kiss and saying "Hi" and "Bye" in the same breath.

We usually don't get home until 9:00 to 10:00 p.m. One would think that we cam relax. Ummm, I wish! Usually it's eating dinner. Yes, I know eating past 7 is bad...I'm trying to figure out how to eat earlier in the evening. After dinner, it's homework or whatever we have to finish before we go to bed. We try to schedule "our" time before bed, but that doesn't always work out. We get to bed between midnight and 1:00a.m. Then our busy day starts again 4.5 hours later.

As you can probably tell, we are very busy people. John in my opinion is busier. He is ALWAYS on the go. Never able to stop and relax. I could be just as busy, but last year when I was literally running to class, work and other activities, I had a nervous breakdown and vowed that I wouldn't allow myself to be THAT busy again.

We don't like being this busy at times, but for now, that is how it is. We have to work. We have to go to school. And of course we have to make time for us. Which is easier on the weekends than weekdays. It is hard juggling everything, but somehow we do it.

The one thing that really irritates me is how other people don't seem to be more understanding of John and I. We are sorry that we can't respond to your email or text message sooner than you want or that we didn't provide a long enough response. We are sorry we may not be able to call you when you want. We are sorry that we can't go to a party or to an activity that we are invited to. It's not that we don't care, it's just hard to get everything done in a day.

I just wish people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch because we are not as sociable. We can't please everyone. I'm getting so tired of people getting upset at us because we don't meet peoples expectations.

Why can't people let us be a husband and wife and let us build OUR future? Seriously?!? Conflict and drama is something that I don't want is this family, but it seems as if we never make anyone happy. People should be more understanding. It's not like we party every night, do drugs, or spend money on senseless things. We work hard to be the best employee, the best student, the best spouse, the best family member, the best friend and the best volunteer. So please people, give us a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment