Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Maybe, Baby?

Ha, not yet. In the last 5 years (since we have been married), occasionally we get asked the question, "so when are you going to have kids?" We both awkwardly laugh and say "sometime." To be honest, I am starting to get the baby itch. I think some of it is that I'm being influenced by the women around me. Last year alone, I knew about 10 of my friends who had babies. This year, 2 of my friends had sweet little ones and a couple of my friends are currently prego and are due next year. Since I have been married for 5 years and I am 29, I do admit that I'm feeling the pressure to have a baby, but also wanting to add to the family. I have been for about a year now. I'm very curious about what it's like to be pregnant, give birth and raise a child. I have been reading the book, "What to expect when your expecting." and I recently bought the follow up book (for 25 cents) and been reading about what to expect at age 1. There is a lot of valuable information in those books. Things I didn't even think about! I do like the part where it talks about pre-pregnancy. Again, lots of information.  

For the last 3-4 weeks, my pastor has been discussing parenting and roles that parents have when raising a child. His sermons have been very interesting and informative, especially when I don't even know what it's like to raise a child. But what he said was information I/we needed to hear. John and I have had the baby talk. We determined that we are not ready, but soon. I don't want to raise my child in a 2 bedroom townhome. I think a baby deserves a home, big enough to crawl around and explore in the back yard, and have resources it needs to be healthy. I want to be able to provide my child with opportunities and a great family life. I really think that is important and that is what I want. 

Last Sunday at the last parenting sermon, it totally hit me that God will provide a child in our lives in the future, but not right now. I am still growing as a woman, as a wife...and still trying to master who I am and who I want to become. John is doing the same. I feel relieved about this because I was feeling worried and anxious. But I know God has a plan. We may not be the "typical" family, but that's okay. Who says we have to start a family a year or two after we get hitched?

So, until we hear the words "your pregnant," I will continue to educate myself about pregnancy and parenting, but also learn more about myself, about my husband...and master what we have going on now before deciding to add to the Lehr household. I am excited for what's ahead in our future...and what we will learn and experience.

3 comments:

  1. I had those two books, too.

    A couple of thoughts - the first one from my dad: if everyone waited to have a baby until they they thought they could afford it- or were ready - there wouldn't be many babies born.

    I don't think a baby will care if the home is small and there's no back yard until it's older - and only then if the parents make a deal of it.

    You talk about wanting to master who you and who you want to become. Denise - life is a journey, not a destination. I think it's more important to "be" and not striving to "become". I am living a life I would not have thought was in my future when I was 29. When I was 29 I was supporting myself and had bought my own home. I was single and doing well. I thought that would continue. Now many years later I'm married with two kids. I never thought I would have kids - and here they are. I never thought I would be married! And here he is (currently snoring on the couch).

    I guess the point I'm trying to make is - don't make life so hard. Life will continue, God will shape you with what He brings in your life. Make plans - but accept life's weird little paths. Where you find yourself may be a better place than what you planned.

    And when you have that babe? You will know who you are: Mom, the center of their universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/
    I meant to post this website. It' a great site on common sense with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise -

    I think it's a good idea to wait.. I think you and John have a lot of growing to do. Also, I think your townhome is WAY too small for a child. Its too small for me when I'm visiting!

    I'm glad you are reading up and making sure you know what you are getting in to.

    I hope you guys can stall as long as possible because I want to be prego at same time! Remember? That book are supposed to write together? Maybe we can write it when you are having your second child and my first.

    I'm glad you are realizing a lot about your life and your future.. :) Don't have a baby until you feel you are stably ready!

    Love u!

    ReplyDelete