Sunday, June 5, 2011

Doggy, Dog Life

Dogs. They are very unusual, but yet lovable creatures. I have 2 dogs. One, is a black lab named Katie (who is 4) and a chocolate lab named Riley (who is 1 1/2). Yep...we own 2 labs..and yes, we KNOW now that we are crazy. It's amazing how both dogs are alike, but yet so different.

Katie was a valentines gift for me from John the year we were first married. I remember a couple of days before valentines day that I specifically said "I'm not ready for a dog and the responsibility right now." Oddly enough, a 8 week old puppy entered our home a few days later. Katie is a different dog. She is very needy. She whines all the time, barks at every little noise and can really get on your nerves...fast! But what I love about her is how her little ears flap in the wind when she sticks her head out of the window of the car. I love how she cuddles next to me when I take a nap, watch a movie or even do homework. I also think it's funny that she doesn't like kids. Seriously...she barks at them and gets anxious when she hears a baby cry. This could be a problem in a couple of years when we have a little one, but that's something to worry about later. :) Over time, she has become a good dog, but still has some behavioral issues time to time. Katie is and will always be my valentine puppy.

Riley or should I say Romeo...is a lover and a cutie pie. John and I got to know Riley when he was born. We were on a breeders waiting list. Our breeder gave us notice when Mocha (Riley's mom) had her babies. Our breeder posted up pictures weekly of all the puppies and a description of how they were doing, etc. By week 4, we got to go visit the puppies. We were interested in a male dog because John was tired of being the only man in the house lol. Mocha had 3 male puppies. A "yellow" one, "orange" and "blue" (which was Riley). I fell in love with all 3 puppies. However, there was one family in front of us on the wait list that got to pick before us, so I was trying not to get too attached. On week 6, we went back to visit the puppies. I remember they were getting so big. I still wasn't trying to get attached, but I really liked "blue." Then week 8 came and we were able to actually take our puppy home. I was hoping to take home "blue." When we pulled up to the breeders home, who was waiting for us at the door step? "Blue!" I was so happy and because he was waiting for us, it was a sign that he was meant for us.

When we got home and introduced "Blue" to Katie, it was interesting to say the least. Katie was hyper as usual, and Riley was freaked out, but within the hour, Riley and Katie were, and still are best friends. Riley grew like a weed, which we didn't expect since Katie grew slow and she is small. As of January, Riley was 80lbs and Katie is 50lbs.

Because of how strong Riley is, I often times get frustrated with him because he over powers me. I know he doesn't realize what he is doing, but getting hurt by him is not fun. It's funny to see Katie and Riley play. They can play really rough, but they still play with their tails wagging. Riley and I have a special bond. Though, Riley can get very jealous because of this. If I am petting Katie, then Riley will literally push Katie out of the way so he can get a pat on the head. If John is sitting by me on the couch and he get's up to get something, Riley will quickly sit in John's place until he is forced to move. It's funny to watch him. The other night, I was feeling a bit sad and I was laying on the bed. Riley jumped up and laid next to me and he put his chin on my shoulder. I could tell he knew I was sad and was trying to comfort me. Then came Katie and she laid next to me too. I felt so much love between these two dogs.

Both of these dogs are my guard dogs. They are very protective of me..and even John. Even though I don't think he needs protection since he has a black belt in taekwondo...:)

Even though I often feel like the movie Marley and Me is based upon my life, I love my dogs. It's amazing what dogs can bring into a family and in a persons heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment