Today’s the day. This morning a big lime green
ServePro truck pulled up to our house. In that truck had our things that make
our home a home. In other words, we got our stuff back from the restoration
company. Before they arrived, we got a list of things that were non-restorable.
It was a 556 page document. Most things that couldn’t be restored were food, toiletries,
diapers, and other things that can be easily replaced. There were a few things
that were destroyed that had meaning, but for the most part, it is just stuff.
I have been struggling though. Lots of anxiety. I can’t
really figure out why though. A couple of weeks ago, we drove by our house.
When I saw it, I instantly got sick to my stomach. This morning as they were
unloading I felt sick with anxiety. The fire must have really impacted me more
than I thought. I can’t imagine what it would be like if we had lost everything
and the house burned to the ground. I have always had compassion for those who
have been in a house fire, but now I am really compassionate and my heart
really goes out to people who have been impacted by fire.
John and I have been able to help with the Fort Worth
Professional Firefighters Charities organization. They helped us out and in return,
we are helping them by trying to promote their charity. We were interviewed a
couple of weeks ago and we are trying to help them with strengthening their
charity as well and give them helpful tips on how to serve people in crisis
better. I hope that we can continue to help people who are in need and I hope
that this charity can become a bigger and better charity because there is
definitely a need.
I am thankful for the ServePro people. They are so
nice and seem caring. They have been unpacking and putting stuff away all day.
I feel weird just sitting back and watching them unpack our stuff, but I guess
that is what they are paid to do. Their slogan is “it’s like it never happened,”
and it’s true. A lot of our stuff looks brand new and not damaged at all.
Now the next step is going through all of the
non-restorable things and putting a price to them. Then hopefully we can get a
settlement to replace the things that were lost, like our couches, mattresses,
etc. I really can’t wait to sleep on a real bed. After this, I don’t think I
want to sleep on an air mattress ever again.
I am really looking forward to this chapter coming to
a close. It has been the easiest crisis we have gone through, but it definitely
hasn’t been easy. I am looking forward to some normalcy and feel like we can
make memories in our new home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment