Thursday, September 6, 2012

My First Texas Summer

In March when we made the announcement we were moving to Texas, one of the first comments was about how hot it get's in Texas and how miserable it will be. When we arrived in Texas and started meeting new people, one of the first comments was how we would hate the summers. In the back of my mind, I knew those people were wrong. I mean really, I haven't had a summer in the last 4 years while we lived in Portland. My hubby calls me a lizard because I love to be warm and be in the sun. I get grumpy and depressed when I'm not seeing sunlight and having to dress for winter...especially in the "summer" months *sigh.* I HATE being cold. So I was looking forward to my first Texas summer.

Recently someone asked me how I was handling the summer months. I replied that the heat hasn't bothered me yet. I got a surprised reaction....

It has been summer like since we got here in March. Today's high is supposed to be 103 degrees-the 33rd tipple digit day of the summer season. Most people can't wait until cooler weather, I on the other hand is not looking forward to cooler days that are ahead.

 I love how I don't have to wear layers. I love how I don't have to brace myself as I walk outside to the cold or the rain. I love how I don't get soaked while walking to the car or inside a building (true Oregonians don't use an umbrella). I love how I can sit outside or go the pool and soak up the sun and get natural vitamin D (I actually stopped taking the supplement version). I have even noticed my dogs laying in the sun (while they had the option for shade). I have appreciated the warm..and hot sunny days that I have experienced thus far. I don't take it for granted because I know what it is like to be deprived of summer type weather.

So everyone who thought I wouldn't like the Texas heat..I LOVE it. Summer has been great, but I might be thinking differently if we didn't have air conditioning. :D


2 comments:

  1. Denise... I'm so happy that you are happy where you are.... my mom hated winters for the very same reason that you mentioned. although we didn't have the rain - snow instead... but she needed sunshine.
    Maybe we could skype sometimes... love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fun. Love you too Grandma.

    ReplyDelete